They will build houses and dwell in them; they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit.Isaiah 65:21
Today take a walk to the Church with some other members who are interested in or already take part in greening/gardening at the church. Here are some questions to think about.
- What is your source of water? Could you improve it – perhaps look at a water tank or grey water?
- What is already growing? How healthy does it look, does it need more water, fertilizer, TLC? Are there any invasives that should be taken out? Or water guzzling aliens that could be replaced?
- What additional space could be used for trees, plants or vegetables?
What resources do you need (people power/ equipment/compost/seedlings) draft a budget
Could you put in a compost pile?
- Start small and take one idea at a time. Take the ideas to your priest or parish council , get a team together and do one action -then you can build from there
Here is a lovely idea you might want to consider:
Create a wildlife ‘hotel”
- Fill a frame with hollow canes (e.g. sections of bamboo, elder or hogweed, bricks with holes, pinecones, straw, etc.)
- Pack together lots of different sized holes which bees and other invertebrates will use.
- Provide a wide shallow dish in a shady place for water which birds can use.
- Create a wood pile using different sized prunings or sections of felled trees. Add to it whenever you can. https://www.churchofengland.org/resources/churchcare/advice-and-guidance-church-buildings/biodiversity#na