Don’t go with the flow. Do not keep taps running when brushing teeth, washing dishes or cleaning your car
“I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs”. Isaiah 41:18
You can save gallons of water by getting a grip on your taps!
Did you know
- A running tap uses a lot more water than you think, it puts 8 litres (2 gallons) down the drain every minute it is on
- you might use 20 litres leaving the tap running while washing your teeth
- washing dishes with the tap running can waste 50 litres!
- washing your car with a hose uses up to 300 litres!
What to do?: The Answer is simple
- Brushing Teeth: Wet your brush when you brush your teeth and rinse the brush when finished.
- Shaving: fill the sink when you shave
- Dishes: fill a sink . When you are waiting for the water to heat up in the tap, use that water to fill your kettle rather than letting it run.
- Car: use a sponge and bucket
- Bathing: take a shower rather then a bath. By using less hot water you save both water and electricity.
And if you are willing to take a bigger step, consider a grey water system , where water from your showers and washing machine in fed onto the garden.