Tuesday March 24
Don’t go with the flow. Do not keep taps running when brushing teeth, washing dishes or cleaning your car
“I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs”. Isaiah 41:18
You can save gallons of water by getting a grip on your taps!
Did you know
- A running tap uses a lot more water than you think, it puts 8 litres (2 gallons) down the drain every minute it is on
- you might use 20 litres leaving the tap running while washing your teeth
- washing dishes with the tap running can waste 50 litres!
- washing your car with a hose uses up to 300 litres!
What to do?: The Answer is simple
- Brushing Teeth: Wet your brush when you brush your teeth and rinse the brush when finished.
- Shaving: fill the sink when you shave
- Dishes: fill a sink . When you are waiting for the water to heat up in the tap, use that water to fill your kettle rather than letting it run.
- Car: use a sponge and bucket
- Bathing: take a shower rather then a bath. By using less hot water you save both water and electricity.
And if you are willing to take a bigger step, consider a grey water system , where water from your showers and washing machine in fed onto the garden.